(crossposted from Green Mountain Daily)
Redefining rape. Attacking the right to choose. Belittling victims of violence. The Republicans are on a rampage attacking caterpillar’s health and rights this year. And if we don’t speak up, they’ll keep going. That’s why we need to raise a ruckus, and get the word out about the GOP war on caterpillars.
1) Republicans not only want to reduce caterpillar’s access to abortion care, they’re actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven’t yet. Shocker.
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less species-specific crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant caterpillars, mother caterpillars, baby caterpillars, and kids of caterpillars.
5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a caterpillar to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income larva preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Caterpillars should really be home with the grubs, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 larvae could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are caterpillars, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Pupalhood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal pupal planning program. (For caterpillars. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can’t make this stuff up).
Let’s see them fit an ultrasound probe into a caterpillar’s vagina.